Monday, January 21, 2008

Life's A Beach!

Now that we've had a little bit of snow, I'm getting antsy for some beach weather once again. My neighbors just got back from a cruise where they went on a zip-line through a tropical rainforest.

So, to satisfy the cravings of beach-seekers in the middle of southwest Virginia winters, I propose we build an indoor beach. Perhaps like the one in Japan.

The Ocean Dome, the world’s largest indoor beach, Kyushu Island, Japan — 987 feet in length and 382 feet wide, with a height of 128 feet, it can accommodate 10,000 people.

A heated ocean sends 13,500 tons of salt-free water sweeping across 600 tons of polished marble chips that constitute a 278-foot long shoreline, ringed by a three-story promenade of shops. Every fifteen minutes, the volcano smokes to life. Every hour, on the hour, it spews fake flames. Now THAT'S what I'm talking about! 

The odd part is that people pay around $50 (American dollars) to go to the indoor beach, when there's a free one just a few hundred feet away.

We could build it on the site near the Roanoke Civic Center where the amphitheater was (then wasn't, then was, then wasn't) supposed to go. I think I'll send my proposal to the Mayor's office.

Jokes aside, it's a great design and if I had the money (and could speak Japanese) I'd like to go see it in person. Until then, I'll sit here in and look at the thermometer that says 14 degrees, and dream of lapping waves, sandcastles and bikini clad....

TO BE CONTINUED! MY WIFE WALKED IN. :)
Enjoy the cold weather
-Brent

No comments: